Saturday, February 7, 2009

Music and Sunlight

I was just thinking about the service...

I lead the music in our Relief Society class, and I usually do a five minute Music Appreciation moment. I have done all sorts of things in the past, but tomorrow I am playing a clip from Mom's memorial service where our dear, insanely talented friend, David Batchelor sang Savior, Redeemer of my Soul. It's such a powerful song, and he sings it so beautifully that I decided to share it with them. I've listened to it a couple of times today, just making sure that the DVD works, and it drew my mind to when we were at the cemetery and Ike Ike went up and patted her lace covered face. "Granni's in here. This is Granni." I know she would have liked that. I let him do it for a few moments, until I couldn't take it anymore, and ushered him away. They were so close.

A few days ago, we were discussing our trip to St. Louis. I told Ike Ike that we would be seeing Pop Pop and Kaye for his birthday, and his Uncle Matt, Connie, and Uncle Frank, Aunt Jennifer, and Cousins. He got very excited and began naming people off on a list... "Pop Pop?! Kay?! Uncle Matt? Granni!?!" Then his little hands flew up and covered his mouth. He slowly lowered them, shaking his head. "Not Granni. She died."

Yes, sweetheart. Granni died.

I was thinking also of the last time I went to her grave before leaving Houston. I took Ike and Sammy out and let them run around while I scattered the petals that were on her roses about. They were beginning to droop. So we stood there for a bit, just looking. Then I went and put the boys in the car, and went back, just for a moment, trying to resist the urge to throw myself down on the dirt and hug it. Her plot is in a very shady spot, all the green burials are back in the trees, and they told us there wouldn't be much growth there because of the shade. I stood there for a few moments, it was a cloudy day, and then the clouds sort of opened up and the sunlight shone down through the trees right on her grave, while I was standing there. It was like a hug from the sun. I am so glad she is in that plot, because it *will* get sunlight even if just for a few hours a day.

4 comments:

  1. That's very beautifully written, Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears in my eyes. Hug in my heart. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post and I'm so glad David's song brings you some comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you are doing this blog. My heart reaches out to you.

    ReplyDelete